Sunday, June 22, 2014

Lincoln Town Car Buyer Info?




Adam


I've been in the market for a first car for a little bit now,having been driving around my dad's dear departed Buick since I was 16 and am in the need of a car for college. My attention immediately went to the town car because I am apparently the reincarnation of a sun city retirement community member and have a love for this type of car. I've saved up about 4000 but my price range is 4-5k. My hope was to find a great deal in the coming months for a TC between the years of 98-03 (preferably 03 because I'm a sucker for a pretty face). If there's any info from Lincoln owners or just car owners in general about issues, maintenance schedule, when to do whatever, leather care, really anything you can think of that could help me at all I would really appreciate it. Or if you don't lincolns or TCs or Ford or America in general, you can point me in the right direction. Thanks guys!
Fuel economy won't be my main concern. I don't live far from my college and I'm try to secure a job very near to it. So any commute I make (if my plans work out) won't be very far. That's why I ruled out low mpg as a deal breaker
Also, my hope was to buy from owner with around 100,000 miles and looking on craigslist that seems to be quite possible.Would that be a bad idea? My father came up with the idea and I did not question it.



Answer
Poor fuel mileage,
---

Damn...someone got some serious standards. I wouldn't call 25 MPGs on the highway, "poor" by any stretch with a v8 car.

Anyway, OP, I love the Town Car look from that era, but getting one for $4000 or so will be quite difficult. Get a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic, instead. Bill got one thing right, for once. The airbag suspension can be troublesome. Town Cars have that standard. The other panther cars only have it as an option, so you can find one of them without it.

Small town info.?




T


I am in my 30s, single, no children. I would like to move somewhere else in the future. For people living in small towns, tell me why your town is a great place to live and why. I am looking for info that you don't get in books.


Answer
Lawrence, KS

http://www.lawrence.com/

http://www.city-data.com/city/Lawrence-Kansas.html

The "Midwest Oasis." It's between Kansas City & Topeka, home to Haskell Indian Nations University & the University of Kansas.

Population 80,000, including 30,000 KU students (the town dramatically shrinks in the summer when all the students & professors are out-of-town). But there is an amazing sense of community here & feels a lot smaller. Everyone knows everyone.

Downtown, East Lawrence, & Old West Lawrence have the small town feel. West Lawrence is suburbia from hell. It is very possible to never, ever cross over to that side of town because we have a vibrant downtown with retail shops, restaurants (down home & exotic), bars (something for everyone, including Free State Brewery), & small grocery stores (local, organic, & specialty). And there is a great Farmers' Market 9 months of the year. Local food--everything from greens & tofu to elk & buffalo--is big here.

There is an okay bus system and a lot of people walk or bike everywhere. It's a progressive, open minded community. There is a no smoking ban (excluding the Hookah House), gay partner registry, & the city uses hybrid cars.

Because Lawrence was settled by people from Boston (in a successful effort to stop the spread of slavery west) it looks completely different from the rest of the state. There are trees everywhere, a river, a lake, and the town is centered around a giant hill (Mt. Oread) with KU at the top.

Lawrence is the 2nd most educated city in the country (after Boston). That means there are a lot of coffee shops & book stores.

The best jobs to be found are in education (public, Montessori, & Catholic schools), KU, the service industry, & self-employed. Other big employers here are Hallmark cards, the city government, & in-bound call centers (pay great, lousy atmosphere).

It's a magnet here. People move here from little Kansas towns for the quality of living. Or for school. Or for a job. And never leave. Or they do move away. Usually to Portland, OR, or Denver--then move back.

There are a broad spectrum of churches, a synagogue, a Buddhist center, a mosque, & agnostic & atheists groups.

The Downfalls

Spring & Fall are great. Winter is cold (although not like, say, Chicago). Summer is hot.

Cost-of-living is high for midwest towns. (California transplants laugh at this, though.)

It's in the middle of the country. Great for a lot of people. Not so great if want to live close to the ocean.

College kids are a mixed blessing. The annoying ones stick to places you'll never go.

The town is obsessed with basketball. (But also with Barrack Obama.)

The sprawling Westside. Again, easy to pretend it doesn't exist.

Not diverse compared to huge cities. (BUT exceptionally diverse for a town.)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment