Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What to do if someone doesn't want to use car insurance to pay for accident but pay privately?

car info check on Diagram of full hybrid vehicle components, including (1) an internal ...
car info check image



rectar


Someone just rear ended me. There are deep scratches on the bumper. He has car insurance, but doesn't want to use it. I got most of his information - driver's license #, car insurance info, ect.

What are the steps I should take?

My car insurance company said I have to call in and report accidents as soon as they happen.

Should I do this in case he doesn't follow through and pay me for repairs?

Should I go get an estimate right now, and have him send me a check?



Answer
call your insurance agent. chances are, he already has quite a lot of accidents on his insurance and his rates are horrendous. there could be more damage to your car than you first think and you know he isn't gonna pay for anything but the scratches, if even that

What the steps to take if someone doesn't want to use car insurance to pay for accident?




rectar


Someone just rear ended me. There are deep scratches on the bumper. He has car insurance, but doesn't want to use it. I got most of his information - driver's license #, car insurance info, ect.

What are the steps I should take?

My car insurance company said I have to call in and report accidents as soon as they happen.

Should I do this in case he doesn't follow through and pay me for repairs?

Should I go get an estimate right now, and have him send me a check?



Answer
If you choose to deal with it privately, it can cause problems. Supposing you take a payment from him, then later on, you discover the underside of the car is cracked or something and it is as a result of the accident. He may have moved house, and you end up with a repair bill while he thinks he has paid you off. An insurer will cover ALL the damage and also guarantee the work.

You also have to bear in mind that he may not have insurance and that is why he wants to pay you privately. If you take a payment off him, you could be committing an offence of aiding and abetting a motoring offence. If you go to your insurer, they would find this out and take him to court. If he is uninsured, he could kill someone and leave the family with nothing. Why help him commit such an offence?

It is entirely up to you what you do, but personally, I would go through the proper channels. Everything would be on the insurers records so there would be no comeback and your insurance would not go up as it is not your fault. You pay the insurer money to provide a service. Why not just sit back and leave it to them to sort out. Don't worry about the other person, let him sort out his own issues.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment