Tuesday, March 18, 2014

how to i tell who is the current title owner of a car?




Andrew N


i am looking at buying a car but i have suspicion as to if the guy who owns the title actually owns the title. I need to find where the last owner of the title lived and also who owned/owns it.

i need to figure out how to do this. Who do i have to call? Or can i do it online? Or do i call the registry?

i really dont know and any help would be appreciated.

thanks



Answer
The previous answerers DO NOT know what they are talking about. As a buyer you have every right to verify the current ownership of the car and if it has any liens. You need to ask the guy that is selling you the car for its vin number and ask him what state it's titled in. The dmv website for the state you are in has a title lookup feature for free. You put in the vin number, car make, model, and year. This will let you know if there is a loan on the car and when the title was issued. You verify this info with the one on the title the guy shows you. It won't state the name but by the issue date you can tell, if it's valid. If the car has a loan, it will have to be paid in order for you to legally own the car. If everything is in order have the guy sign the title over to you and register it with the dmv. Hope this helps!!

I sold my car and left the plates on it. The 1 who bought it ran a redlight & they mailed me a ticket. HELP!!?




Shawn


I filled out the affidavit of non-responsibility, but they just wrote me a letter stating that it was incomplete. They didn't say what information they lacked, but did say there will be a $25 late fee if I fail to provide this info by the due date. What can I do to avoid having to pay a traffic ticket when I never ran the red light? I gave the persons cell phone number, a print-off of the e-mail they sent me voicing that they wanted to buy my vehicle. I have 2 witnesses that saw him buy the car. Other than that, I'm pretty much out of info. I tried to do a reverse-lookup of his cell phone number to get his address, but could not. Please help, I've run out of options. Thanks for reading.
I had no idea how to sell a car is the problem. I had a car. I wanted to sell it. Someone had money. I took the money. It's simple I thought.



Answer
Take this as a lesson learned...NEVER make a sale to someone without having a receipt, their information, and without taking all your identity information out of the car!! If something was done right during your sale, the title of the car should be transferred to the new owners name, registered, something...but i guess not! Try to take this to court, and have the new driver of the car take responsibility! Do you know the Vin # of the car? This could help in tracking down the owner of the car at the present time, or try calling insurance company's with the cars information to find the new owner. Good Luck, you shouldn't have to pay for someone else's mistake, but it sorta is your fault for being careless and not taking off your license plate and handing them into the DMV.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment