Thursday, May 15, 2014

Lien Question?




Mac J


I have a car I'm about to sell in a couple days, I'm looking at the title and it say's that there are two liens against the car. One is from a bank many states away from the previous owner. And the other is the bank that my father used to purchase the car. The most recent one was satisfied in my fathers bankruptcy, however when I called the bank to get a release the service worker said that there was an outstanding balance. The other I have no idea how to go about, I've owned the car 4 years now and since my fathers death a year and a half ago i've had the title in my hand and no one has made any attempt to collect on the car. I'm not really sure where to go from here, because showing the new buyer the title may err him/her away from purchase...any suggestions?


Answer
You cannot legally sell the car with a lien on it. You need to contact the state that issued the title, tell them the title number and they will be able to tell you if that is the valid title, or if any others have been issued since or before the one you have. A title history will take place, with the info being sent to you when it's completed. For now, you can't sell the car, the bank is holding the title up for some reason. It doesn't matter if anyone has made an attempt to collect, they put the lien on, and apparantly had tried to collect in the past. If the car is in your father's name, and he is deceased, you will need to show documentation giving you the right to sell the car, and his death certificate, along with other forms. Good luck, this could take a bit of time to clear the car's title, so it can be sold.

what info do i need to do a mechanic lien on a car?




Kevin


i fixed the car at my shop but the owner didn't come back more then 1 year


Answer
You need the vin # and the car.

Take the vin down to the courthouse and they should direct you what to do.

Probably just a matter of a notarized statement saying they owe you.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment