Sunday, November 3, 2013

Is there an alternative to using children car seats on airplanes ?

car news websites on Future Concept Cars (wallpapers) |
car news websites image



Agnes


I am travelling with my toddler soon who is 24 months old. I cannot bear the hassle of bringing his car seat with me on that plane, as it is very bulky and i heard you can be prevented from using it in the aircraft. Does anyone know of any alternative to provide seat safety/comfort for a toddler on an airplane ? Thanks.


Answer
I'm a former Flight Attendant and I now fly a lot with my own kids.

Yes there is an alternative to a car seat. It's called a CARES harness;

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

Here it is on the FAA's website;
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

It's easy to carry and safer than using an adult seat belt alone, which don't fit toddlers very well. People who have used it, really liked it. So far, I've never heard anyone complain...

The other plus is that it is now approved by a number of different national air authorities. This is still an issue with car seats.
http://www.kidsflysafe.com/in-flight-documents.php

One niggly complaint is that the child's legs stick out when using this. Other parents have countered that their children were very comfortable and simply sat cross-legged on the seat (I suggest bringing slippers anyway). Yes, children can sleep comfortably in it.

The biggest minus is the price. It's $75 for something that can ONLY be used for the flight. It's not approved for use in a car. Meanwhile, there are very light, easy to carry car seats for as little as $40-50, good seats that car seat techs like. It's a myth that seats have to big, bulky and expensive to be safe (although Britax does make some nice seats...)

If you search with "CARES harness Ebay" or "Craigslist", you'll see that some people have started renting these gizmos out. I can't tell you much more. I would actually suggest buying one and then selling it on once it's outgrown by your last child.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you need a car seat at your destination, it's really risky to check them. They are considered "delicate items" and the airlines wont take responsiblity for any loss or damage.

I'm making this point because on my last long-haul flight, three of our four bags didn't make it. I saw at least two car seats while I was looking for my bags but I had no worries. We had our car seat with us and my daughter was safe for the 2 hour drive home. The bags were brought to us two days later.

A CARES harness seems a good deal if you are leaving somewhere that you don't need a car seat, like visiting a big city where you'll be taking mostly public transportation. Or, many grandparents keep car seats for their visiting children and grandchildren. Never rent a car seat with a rental car company. They are infamous for being old, dirty, expired and you don't know the seat's "history" (like if it's been in an accident). I had a bad experience and I'm not alone. Don't risk your childs' safety this way!

Just to clear up some of what you mentioned, if you are in the U.S. and you have a seat for your child and bring a FAA approved car seat for that child, IT CANNOT BE REFUSED. Your right to use that seat is protected by LAW. This is not the case elsewhere in the world. I have had my American car seat removed by Lufthansa (German), Iberia (Spain) and Ryan Air (Irish but doesn't allow any car seats in any form anyway).

If you are flying a non-U.S. company, search with the name of the airline followed by "children" to get to the page with information on what they require in car seats. Sometimes too, I have "gotten away" with my American car seat on Lufthansa and once on Air France.

Since your child is 2 years old, they cannot sit in your lap. Almost all airlines have this rule, although some are flexible with round trip tickets. The FAA is strict about it. Someone mentioned double seat belts. Some foreign airlines still use these but they are dangerous and banned by the FAA in the U.S.

As far as getting a car seat through the airport, I manage it flying alone with three children since each was 4 months old. There are contraptions like this to get car seats through airports;
http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html

Some complain that it's hard to get on and off the cart. I saw one on my last flight and it does roll nicely and the child can ride in it.

Another product makes the car seat into a backpack and some parents get creative with bungee cording their seat to the stroller.

I simply use a small metal luggage cart and an extra bungee cord to secure it. My 3 year old could actually ride in this and it saved me major money and I check the stroller (she hardly needs it anyway anymore unless she's tired).

Honestly, it doesn't have to be too horrible taking the car seat with you but weigh up the facts and make an informed decision based on your specific circumstances, budget and needs.

About eight years ago, I wrote an article on flying with children for a local newsletter. I kept it on line, adding to it over the years and then put it on a blog to help other parents (and my flying partners). It's based on both my professional and practical experience as flying with my children. People have written in from all over the world and contributed. It's totally non-commercial, my little personal mitvah so feel free to visit;
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

My contact information is at the end.

Do what works for you and have a good flight!

How can I get paid to put business advertisements on my car?




Nate


I see people driving around with advertisements all over their cars and i saw a news story about this a while ago. I know they get paid by the companies to do this, does anyone know what i would have to do to get started with this?


Answer
Here are some agencies you can contact:

http://adsmartoutdoor.com
Pays $350 a month and requires driver to meet with their representatives to check mileage, GPS unit, and condition of the advertisement on their vehicle.

http://www.autowrapped.com
This company pays $200-$400 a month to wrap your car, truck, or suv with non-damaging vinyl adhesive graphics. Or you can opt for partial wraps paying $100-$200 these range from window coverings to logo's and other lettering. You will be required to drive from 800-1200 miles per month, depending on advertiser contract.

http://www.ad-wraps.com/driversinfo.htm
The website is not clear as to how much you can earn, but it may be similar to other agencies that offer $400 (but check with them to be sure).

http://automurals.com
You can get paid up to $400 a month, with opportunity to earn extra by driving to conventions and such. They have several programs that you can participate from your 100% of your vehicle covered to only the windows covered by the ads. But you need to drive a minimum of 1,600 miles per month.

http://www.autowraps.com
They don't say how much you can earn on their website, only that they maintain a database of potential car drivers and clients can select from demographic characteristics. You can call about their Consumer Peer-to-Peer program at 310-566-4000 xt. 205 (Press 205) or e-mail contact@freecarmedia.com

http://www.autocarwraps.com
This is for UK drivers only and you can earn £200 per month, but you will be required to drive minimum of 600 miles per month and you need to have a clean driving record




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment