Saturday, November 9, 2013

Should I be worried about the swine flu?

live 5 news car accident on family members killed in a Traffic accident | Ya Libnan | World News ...
live 5 news car accident image



Krista S


I'm freaking out about this flu that's going around. I live in california in the LA area. Is the media making it sound worse than it really is? Should I worry more about dying in a car accident than dying of the swine flu?


Answer
3-5 MILLION people are infected with the good old regular everyday "flu" per year. Roughly 500,000 people die each year from complications related to the good old regular flu. Put things in perspective people. Stop creating hype.

I seriously think people need to stop watching the news. I'm an RN. We have NOT implemented anything new, we have not changed protocols, we dont ask people to wear masks --- hell, we've not even been inserviced on the virus. It's business as usual. And - I work in a very busy San Diego hospital where there have been some local cases.

Stop worrying. Don't buy into the hype.

Drunk drivers kill more people than this virus ever will. Besides - those that've died from the virus likely were in poor health to begin with. -Chad, RN ICU

How to determine if a non-relative is in a car accident?




Emergency


I'm in Minnesota, and yesterday we had nearly 1.5 feet of snow fall at once. I'm supposed to meet my boyfriend tonight, and he assured me he'd be home by 6:30pm. He emailed me at 6pm to say he was leaving. It's now 8pm, it's only a 20 minute drive to here from his work, and traffic reports suggest he should be home by now. I am stranded outside his apartment building since I do not have a key. He is not carrying his cell phone; he forgot it at his apartment this morning.

We are not married and do not live together, and I don't know if or how I would be contacted in an emergency. I have to know what's going on - I can't stay here overnight and there are no buses to take me back to my home.

What does one normally do when they suspect an accident? Call hospitals? News stations? Police departments? I'm at a loss. Please help me if you have any guidance.



Answer
If he was conscious and knows your cell phone number, then he would have called you from the hospital. Assuming that this did not happen, the possibilities are (a) he's not hurt, (b) he's unconscious, or (c) he's dead. Most likely, he's not hurt. Either his car broke down or he was in a minor accident and was not hurt. Either way, he's probably trying to get a tow truck. This will take him a long time, because (1) he forgot his phone, so he can't use it to call a tow truck, and (2) the wait for tow trucks is longer when it snows.

Leave a note for him on the door, and start driving yourself home, or call a cab.

If you want to check on the other possibilities, you call one of his relatives, or whomever you think would have been notified if he was unconscious or had been killed. But, first, call the place where he works; if the weather was bad or he had car trouble, he might have gone back there.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment