Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Should I buy this car from Spain? Via ebay? Or is it a scam? (lots of details 10 points best answer)?




Dr. Juicy


Basically there is an 06 Honda Accord going for $2900, sounds too good to be true right? Well he's also in Spain and in the Marines... supposedly. He wants to get it done through Ebay, and I've used Ebay many times before and I trust the website, however I'm not 100% sure. Here goes the conversation through Emails

Hello,
You have to know that the
2006 Honda Accord EX/ Navigation System I am selling is 100% working and great looking, no flaws or dents, no scratches or any kind of damage. The title is clear. It has 35,340 miles. The VIN# is 1HGCM56886A007861.This vehicle engine runs very, very smooth. No electrical problems on this beauty. This detailed vehicle makes the exterior look like it just came off the assembly line.
As I know that my current situation is pretty special I want the deal closed only through eBay's Buyer Protection Program in order for you to be 100% protected. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and inspect it (for 10 days) eBay will release the payment to me; in this way we are both protected. Anyway i am sure that if you won`t be satisfied with the car i will surely find another buyer in your area and there will be no need for you to ship the car back.
I am located in Madrid,Spain and I was sent here to improve the military relationships between our country and Spain. One month ago, my wife moved here with me and brought the car with her, but now we have to sell it back in the United States because In order to be able to register this car here, I would have to pay very high import/custom taxes. My final price on it is $ 2900. If you will take it for this price, I am willing to handle the shipping. It will be shipped from here by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything. You will get it to the nearest airport in your area and then it will be trucked forward to your place. You will receive the car in about 4 days. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them.

So then I asked for some more info on how exactly he wants it done and he told me this.

" Hi again,
As I said in my first email the car is currently located in Madrid,Spain. It will be shipped from here by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything. You will get it to the nearest airport in your area and then it will be trucked forward to your place. Shipping will be done door-to-door, to your exact location, so you will not have to pick the car up yourself.
The price for the car is $2,900 USD. This price includes all the shipping taxes and fees. eBay will hold the funds until you receive and accept the car. I will have access to the funds only after you test and inspect the car (you will have 10 days to do that) and in case something goes wrong or the car is not as advertised you will be fully refunded. Anyway i am sure if you will don`t be satisfied about the car i will surely find another buyer in your area and there will be no need for you to ship the car back. Ebay will guarantee for that. From the moment the payment is secured by eBay the shipping process will begin and it will arrive at your address in about 3 max. 4 business days. Also the car will arrive with all the documentation's required for registration and the keys. I will send you all the papers and documents (clear title, bills of sale, car's manual) to prove the ownership and to be able to register it with no problem. The clear title and the bill of sale will be both signed so you can become owner of the car on spot. The cargo is insured so if the car is damaged during the shipping you will also be refunded.
Please reply with your full name and address, and I will start the process with eBay. You will receive all the transaction details from them.

Thanks "


So then I asked why it was so cheap and asked where he was stationed and his rank in the military and stuff and this was his response.

" Why I sell so cheap?
Just put yourself in my situation:If I want to register it here it will cost me a hell lot`s of money,nobody here would buy from the same reason;I can`t even sell at for parts,because nobody here has such cars,only European cars,i personally have a seat leon from work.
Plus even if i register it here,the engine is too big here,the gas price here is triple than in the States.
Mail me your intentions. "

So now I'm kind of stuck... it seems way too good to be true which is my gut instinct... but what if I'm just being paranoid?

Does anyone else have some helpful insight?
How will I be scammed?

Okay this was obviously a learning experience for me. I could have been dumb about it and said OH HEY A $20,000 car GOING FOR $3,000 GEE I AM SO LUCKY!!



Answer
SCAM for many reasons

Ebay has NOTHING to do with cars that are not listed exclusively on Ebay. Ebay buyer protection on cars only applies if the car is located within 200 miles of your registered location and you have to pick up the car in person. If the car is not as described, then you can file a dispute with Ebay to get the money back

And NEVER buy a car from Spain for any reason http://www.idealspain.com/pages/information/buycar.asp
"VERY IMPORTANT ADVICE ON PURCHASING SECOND HAND CARS
It is vital that a history check is made on the vehicle before you purchase it. This is the Spanish equivalent to an HPI check in England.
This check is important in Spain because just like property, previous owners debts can be put on the car. This can include unpaid social security, loans and taxes. The debts stay with the car, so it is now the responsibility of the new owner to clear the debts."

Besides, the US military cargo does NOT ship personal vehicles and certainly wouldn't by air for any reason

"You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car." - is 100% BS. Ebay offers NO such service. That's an escrow service

And the same scam has been reported thousands of times already - different car and location, same Nigerian scam
http://craigsfriends.net/military.html
http://scammerdatabase.wordpress.com/2010/01/11/scammer-posing-as-u-s-military-guy-lt-daniel-robinson/
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19581131-Scam-Car-Scam
http://www.fraudwatchers.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-6230.html

Don't even respond to this person or your email will be added to a Mugu list and you'll be spammed for life

Buying a used car total cost?




ar-571


Im 19 and about to buy a used 2012 car honda accord. the price says $18995 without any of the other add on (tax, fees etc) Im confused on the websites so does anyone have experience in the total cost of buying the car from a dealer.

With sales tax, registration fees and any other add on on the 18995 car? it would help out alot just a rough estimate



Answer
You didn't state where you're located, every state/province is different.

Generally, You need to pay a deposit(around $5000 if your 18, with no credit), then you need to have it emission tested($40), and certified ($130).

Once you have that, you can call your insurance company, pay 2 months insurance up-front($500-800 for first payment), get the sheet via email and go to the DMV.

At the DMV you will be charged for the license plate($30), Taxes(whatever your location normally pays, on 18995), used vehicle info package($20), and your yearly sticker($75). You're good to go then.

So overall, if your taxes are 10%... Not including deposit

1800 tax
130 certify
75 sticker
40 emissions
30 plate

So you're looking at around $2075 at the DMV to register the car in your name.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may just want to get an older car, there are plenty that can be obtained for less than $4000 with low miles.

A couple weeks ago I bought a 1998 Lincoln towncar with 55,000 miles on it for $400(four hundred). It ended up costing me another $300 to get it on the road plus I HAVE NO CAR PAYMENTS, \\

It was kind of a fluke but hey, you want to know how i did it? I saw it in a driveway, with dust on it and a flat tire, I asked the house owner if i could buy it.... They said yes, I haggled them down from $900 to $400




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment