Monday, May 19, 2014

Another long question... about my car accident last night and my 9 month old daughter. Thanks!?




troubledin


So last night I got into my first real car accident. The roads were really slick and it was right around rush hour, with cars driving at a pretty good speed but packed into the highway. Anyway, the car in front of me slammed on their brakes and I did the same but I just couldnât stop soon enough. I skidded into the rear of the car in front of me and it totaled the front end of my car. My 9 month old daughter, Avary, was in her car seat (of course) in the back so I jumped out of the car and raced to her to make sure she was ok, then called 911. She seemed fine and was fine for the time following the accident. Eventually, one thing led to another (complicated story so I wonât elaborate) and I ended up being sent off to the hospital in an ambulance a couple hours later. My sister and my daughterâs father drove her back to my house to stay with her here until I was done at the hospital.

Well, when they got to my house, Avary had fallen asleep in her car seat and my sis had to take her out and bring her in the house. She didnât wake up! My sis and Avaryâs father tried a few ways to try to wake her and nothing worked so they freaked out and rushed her in to the ER where I was already. Apparently she would not wake up the entire trip to the hospital, then, a few minutes after they brought her into the hospital she woke up but one of the nurses said she didnât look good and it was good they brought her in. Well, the docs checked her out and monitored her pulse and stats with this little device clipped to her leg or toe or something (I couldnât see because I was still strapped to a backboard). They checked her out and said that she was fine â and she was acting very normal at that point. It was as though nothing had happened at all. So everyone decided that she was just extremely tired from all the drama and crying, me being a nervous wreck, (we were even left in my totaled car that wouldnât start (no heat) in a parking lot by the cops for quite some time until a family member could get to me⦠but thatâs a whole other story). Everyone, including the docs determined she was fine and just exhausted.

Eventually we were released and my mom slept over to make sure we were both ok. Avary acted completely normal through the night and all day today until around 7:30 tonight. I fed her some dinner/snack (her food routine was a bit off today) and she fell asleep in her high chair as I was finishing up feeding her. She was out too. I would talk to her and she would kind of jump but doze right back off to sleep â sitting up! She has never done anything like that before. I unbuckled her and lay her down in her crib and she stayed asleep (I watched her closely the whole time) for about 50 min before waking up and not wanting to go back to sleep. She was her regular old self then about an hour and a half later she started rubbing her eyes and I put her down for the night (until I go to bed because we co-sleep) Do you think she is just still tired and exhausted from last nightâs nightmare? Could that be why she fell asleep in her high chair like that? I am going to follow up with her Ped again tomorrow but Iâm just wondering if anyone has been through anything similar. Like the super sleepy/exhaustion part after a really big trauma? Did it last more than one day? Does this sound normal to you?

Please donât just say take her back to the ER. If you got this far and read my entire question, please take the time to answer it. Thanks so much.
Thank you so much everyone for your support and answering my question. It has been an awful time but hopefully we will both be fine. The worst part for me was lying there on the backboard and knowing my little girl was brought in and something could be wrong! I wanted to get up and be with her and they wouldn't let me. I'm still crying, just thinking about it! Thanks again for your kind words. It definitely helps. I'm actually going to go snuggle up with Avary right now (we co-sleep). I need to have her in my arms with the way I am feeling right now. Thanks again for your answers and kind words.



Answer
The word shock is used differently by the medical community and the general public. The connotation by the public is an intense emotional reaction to a stressful situation or piece of news. Its medical meaning is much different.

Your babe would have been assessed for signs of shock on the scene had paramedics been called, and definitely when your family brought your daughter back in the ER docs would have been looking for that first. They know what to look for. I know it's hard but try to trust in that. Signs of shock are very obvious ~I won't get into it~ and present very quickly ~ usually on the scene. It would not have been missed.

You're a great mom. Great Mom's worry alot. Take her to the ped to ease your mind. Hold her close, because she probably has been affected psychologically in some way by all the drama.

My opinion, she's fineã

Totaled my blazer, AAA car insurance?




Niki


Okay I was involved in a hit an run accident a little over 2 weeks ago. I have full coverage insurance including uninsured and underinsured coverage. Also the required 10,000$ personal injury protection required by my state KY. My policy is with AAA. I owe around 9,000$ on my truck still, but was told finally yesterday that AAA is settling my vahicle loss at a little over 13,000$. I'm trying to find out how long is this going to take before I get money from them so I can get another car. I have injuries and can't get back an forth to my Dr and physical therapy. So I need this to happen like yesterday. But trying to figure out if since my claim is going under uninsured motorist protection since it was hit an run should I be able to get a rental car for the time being even if I didn't have rental coverage? And I am also an independent contractor doing vehicle title work and various other things for an automotive shop. I'm not on payroll since I contract my own work and pay my own taxes at end of the year. My attorney told me that since I didn't have a job where I received regular payroll checks I could not claim loss wages. Why is this? And is there anything I can do to speed this process up? As of now I have minimal use of my right arm because I injured my shoulder in accident and so far Dr has me off work till end of January. So I need to recover benefits somehow so I can survive till going hack to work. Any help would be great, this is all so overwelming. Thank you


Answer
http://iiky.org/issues/pipreform.html

The good news is that you are not upside down on your car, so will be getting a check that you can use as a down payment on the next car. The bad news is that with a totaled vehicle it takes longer to settle, since they have tons of paperwork you will need to sign and send back to your insurance company. On average, totaled vehicles take on average of 30 days to settle with all the paperwork.

Since no rental coverage, if you rent a car, YOU will have to pay out of pocket. IF, you were going through the at faults insurance company, then they would be paying for a rental, but since unknown and you were smart enough to buy uninsured coverage, if is up to you. Can you have a friend or family member drive you to your doctor appointments? Or, maybe a friend might loan you a car, if you pay them $10 a day?

The lost wages is tricky. The site attached explains the PIP in KY and can include lost wages, but,,,,since an independent contractor with no set weekly wages from an employer, gets tricky. Like the site says, even (IF), you qualify, depending on how much your medical bills are, there maybe not enough, or, with your continued treatment, can exhaust the coverage, meaning you will have to pay out of pocket for your treatment till done, unless you have health insurance, then it will pick up. (IF), you can qualify for any wages, you will have to submit all kinds of forms, like your taxes and other documentation to validate how much wages they "might" owe you.

So, the insurance company is doing what they are supposed to do, and in the meantime, you will need to either borrow a car, have a friend drive you, or rent a car and pay out of pocket.

good luck




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment