Friday, May 23, 2014

good every day motorcycle for 17 year old?




Corey


Before I start asking you questions I find it more useful to give you some info about my situation.
Im NOT a beginner when it comes to knowing how to ride a motorcycle. I have been ridding dirt bikes since I was 12. When I was 15-16 years old I raced enduros on my 125cc which are any where from 40-60 miles long and take about 3 hours to complete. No beginner rider would be able to finish one of the enduros. I now ride a ktm 300 xc-w which has around 40-50-hp. I have no problem controlling its power, and if you did not know my dirt bike is a 2 stroke so that means I deal with the power bands so ridding a 4 stroke street bike should not be a problem what ever the engine size is. So I know how to ride a motorcycle but the only time I have ridden on the road was during one of my races just cruising around 50mph to the next check point. My current car is a 1995 4 cylinder jeep that gets around 15mpg and can have a hard time going over 50mph. Also I live in Texas so the summers are HOT and my jeep's air conditioner doesn't work well, so in the summer I drive with the doors off which is about as close to a bike as you can get on 4 wheels. I would mainly ride on roads that are 30-50mph but I would like the bike to be able to cruise at 80mph but still have a little get up and go left. I herd super sport bikes are bad for everyday ridding and I don't want to get a cruiser. I want a sportier bike that is somewhat close to my dirt bike but for the road. Im also looking for a bike that would be the cheapest for me to insure less than $1800 a year for just liability because thats what I am paying on my jeep. So my reason to get a street bike is for better gas milage and I just love 2 wheels. I also herd that insurance is cheaper than cars for just liability. So I am looking to save some money because my jeep is getting to the point where everything is getting ready to be replaced and I don't have the money for a fuel efficient car.
> so I am looking for a daily motorcycle (not a super sport or cruiser)
> something that can cruise on the highway but has good handling at lower speeds
> something that gets good gas milage
> a type of bike that is cheaper to insure than a car
(I would also like if you would tell me what your bike is, if you have one)



Answer
You seemed to be pretty familiar with riding already. I was in the same position when i got my first street bike. A Yamaha Seca or Suzuki are great. You want a cheap but great bike try a hyosung gt650. I started with a Suzuki Sv650. Was a great transition from a dirt bike to street because of the torque it had. Traded it in for an Yamaha R1 after I got comfortable. Try looking at the standard bikes for now at least 600cc or more or you'll just be disappointed. Stay away from a performance bike as a first. As for me I now ride a Yamaha warrior 1700cc it's a wicked cross between a cruiser and crotch rocket. Makes any Harley look like a joke. Just remember on the street you cant take the risks or tricks you normally would do on dirt. Good luck and ride safe!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment