Thursday, June 12, 2014

Buying a First Car?

Q. Hry my friend is buying her first car and she can't decide what to get. Frankly I'm getting quite annoyed because she never stops talking about it. So I thought I'd help her out.
She's 16, her parents won't let her get a coupe or sports car because they are too much on insurance, and her price limit is $8,100.
She lives in Missouri.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Sorry misspelled the first word.
Hey*


Answer
Go to autotrader.com and put in your maximum purchase amount, a zipcode and how many miles away from that zipcode you're willing to look for a car and voila... your search begins.

From what I've seen on there, for $8,000 you may be able to get a 3-5 year old vehicle but it's probably going to have 70,000-100,000 miles on it.

I also have news for her...at 16 if she isn't able to get secondary car insurance under her parents' car insurance policy (and instead has to go it on her own) no matter what car she gets (sports car or not)... her car insurance won't be cheap.

When I was 20 I was driving around a 1-year old 4-door Cavalier and I was paying $3,000.00/year for car insurance with a clean record (more then the car payment itself). Now that was when I was younger and lived in Canada and I have noticed since moving here to the U.S. that car insurance seems to be a bit cheaper... however... the reality is that young drivers pay high(er) car insurance rates. Get a ticket or get in an accident and the situation goes from bad to even worse.

What tragic F1 accident shaped your life?




carpediem6


Given the fact that the last fatality in F1 is Ayrton Senna back in 1994, I already assume Senna's crash will probably lead the way in the answers. But I would like to see if anyone is "old enough" to go back in time and reflect on what shocked them in the years prior to Senna's death.

Among the ones I witnessed live on TV during the years, I can say Tom Pryce's freak accident in 1977 was the one that is still embedded in my memory, more than others.
ADD: Julian, that thing is like professional fireworks on wheels. In the U.S. they should use that footage during the 4th of July celebrations.

Ivor, somehow we need more explanations on your injury



Answer
Niki Lauda's at the Nurburgring 1976. To be honest I don't remember if I watched it live on TV, or if I seen it on the news that night, I started watching F1 at about 5 years old (that gives my age away!) so it might have been live, I can remember seeing the car in flames and other drivers trying to get him out, It was a combination of tragedy and heroism that I had probably never seen before. It may well be the moment that I became fascinated with F1, and I always had a soft spot for Lauda and Ferrari after that.
Edit, How is the little Todger Ivor? lol




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment