Thursday, September 26, 2013

I sold my car and left the plates on it. The 1 who bought it ran a redlight & they mailed me a ticket. HELP!!?

car info lookup by vin on home vin number search vin lookup vin lookup where can i find the vin
car info lookup by vin image



Shawn


I filled out the affidavit of non-responsibility, but they just wrote me a letter stating that it was incomplete. They didn't say what information they lacked, but did say there will be a $25 late fee if I fail to provide this info by the due date. What can I do to avoid having to pay a traffic ticket when I never ran the red light? I gave the persons cell phone number, a print-off of the e-mail they sent me voicing that they wanted to buy my vehicle. I have 2 witnesses that saw him buy the car. Other than that, I'm pretty much out of info. I tried to do a reverse-lookup of his cell phone number to get his address, but could not. Please help, I've run out of options. Thanks for reading.
I had no idea how to sell a car is the problem. I had a car. I wanted to sell it. Someone had money. I took the money. It's simple I thought.



Answer
Take this as a lesson learned...NEVER make a sale to someone without having a receipt, their information, and without taking all your identity information out of the car!! If something was done right during your sale, the title of the car should be transferred to the new owners name, registered, something...but i guess not! Try to take this to court, and have the new driver of the car take responsibility! Do you know the Vin # of the car? This could help in tracking down the owner of the car at the present time, or try calling insurance company's with the cars information to find the new owner. Good Luck, you shouldn't have to pay for someone else's mistake, but it sorta is your fault for being careless and not taking off your license plate and handing them into the DMV.

Insurance policy lookup with driver's licence info?




Angelo C


So this guy hits me and begs me not to report it (problems at home, etc, etc, etc) cops come in and tell us we have 10 days to report it or fix it ourselves. i was stupid enough to believe in his word in (like that means something nowadays). he said he will pay for it but today to go drop the car he doesn't show up. i have his info (driver's license number, address, car description) but i don't have his insurance info. Do i need it and is there any way to find it or could i go to the precinct with what i have and give him a hit and run???


Answer
First, insurance isn't usually tracked by driver's license, in each state - it's usually tracked by vehicle - either the tag number, or the vin number.

Second, that information is private - so if you have someones name, license number, or tag number, you can't get their insurance information, because it's protected by privacy laws. Sure, the cops can look it up - and if they tell you, they can be fired and prosecuted.

Last, his insurance company does NOT have to accept a claim report from you. Typically, many insurance companies will, for auto accidents, but legally, they don't HAVE to. And if their insured denies the claim to them, they then drop it.

You really have two options - either file the claim with YOUR insurer, and let your insurance company chase after them, or, sue them in small claims court.

Cops are NOT lawyers. Although they might have a better grasp of the law than joe average, you CANNOT rely on a cop for LEGAL advice. Period. There's no legal time limit anywhere, for "fixing yourself". Some states DO have a legal time limit for accepting an accident report - but in many states, if there's no bodily injury and both cars are drivable, they won't even give you an accident report.

If it's less than 10 days, file the accident report. If it's more, TRY to file the accident report. You'll need that report in small claims court.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment