Sunday, January 26, 2014

What model train set/accessories are good for beginners?

car info for beginners on Carnaval in Rio de Janeiro: A Beginners Guide | The Brazil Travel ...
car info for beginners image



BeeGirl


My husband has always been fascinated by model trains and the miniature models that go along with them. I thought it would be a great present, but have no idea how to get started or how much money I would be spending. He would enjoy putting together the towns/scenes/or whatever they're called, and he is good at the painting and detailing aspect. I guess I'm asking for as much info as you want to give. Thanks!


Answer
Ok, you have some good answers so far. One note however, Hobby Lobby no longer carries model railroad items although they still have paint glue etc that many modelers will need.
This is a very broad question and the answer will largely depends on your husbands wants and needs. Model trains come in a variety of scales and eras so the first step would be to narrow the focus and find out what you husband finds fasinating about trains. Does he like modern equipment or old time steam? Does he have a favorite railroad or area of the country?
Model trains come in many scales. The main ones are G, O, S, HO, N and Z, going from the largest to the smallest. I have worked in most of these scales. Right now I'm modeling G and N scales. These are at opposite ends of the spectrum. G is a large scale and most of it can be set up outside. This would be great if both of you enjoy gardening or just being outside. This scale tends to get expensive fast but the large size also allows the modeler to build a lot of their own item as opposed to buying them. I found for the price or a few building kits I was able to buy enough wood working equipment to build both frieght cars and buildings.
Here's a string of cars I built and part of my old G scale garden layout.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22021033@N06/3011191086/

N scale is the next to the smallest but if offers quite a bit. It's entirely possible to model entire trains and locations. Some modelers have built layouts in suitcases and coffee tables. This is a good choice for someone with limited space. I currently collect items I like, mostly engines and cars from railroads of the Carolinas from the 1950's and then run them from time to time. I also make my own decals to replicate frieght car paint schemes that are not available. I'm planning a layout based on one of my wifes and I's recent vacation destination.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22021033@N06/3135636578/
The engine pictured has some sentimental value as our family had the priviledge of riding in the cab of it.
Visit a local hobby store that sells trains. They may be able to help you. Also as someone else has mentioned, Model Railroader is a great resource. They usually have a series geared toward beginners that starts around Christmas. If you go the G scale route, Garden Railways is also a good resource.
I hope this is of some use to you. Good luck and hope this helps and as someone else menitioned and my wife would agree, you have been warned.

Where can I find RC car parts for reasonable prices, and still get the little parts I need?




Fed Up


I have a 1/10 scale RC car, and I'm new to the whole gas/nitro car experience. I have broken the suspension arm for the drivers side. I need to replace this part, and I've googled every phrase I can think of, can't find a parts store, does anyone know of any good websites for RC gas/nitro cars where I can go and order these parts? Also any tips about how to keep from doing this again, and any good advice in general or tips for what to do or not to do. Like I said, I'm a beginner, an adult, but a beginner to the hobby, so any tips are greatly appreciated, bring a website or smokin' advice, and you'll get the best answer. Thanks so much.
Sorry, it is a Smartech 1:10 scale 4WD Racing Car Off Road. Gas/Nitro powered.CX-12 engine



Answer
Bummer you broke it. But you can fix it, you should have instructions should have a phone number for parts, if not you need the name of the car try tower hobbies they sell most popular brands. as far as info here are some sites that may help you.
DYI.com, RC Groups.com, RC universe.com, the RC sites have people from all over the globe if tower can't help more then likely someone there will be able to tell you where to go for parts and help with any questions you have hope this helps
Have fun
Dan




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment