Saturday, August 10, 2013

How is the best way to look up information on Access 2003 from fields that are not identical?

car info database on 1JZ GTE VVTI Toyota engine with 5-speed manual transmission, ecu ...
car info database image



SigmundS o


I have a existing database with fields FirstName, LastName, EmployeeID. I am trying to move the EmployeeID field to a new table that incorporates VIN numbers of vehicles they drive by using the FirstName and the LastName fields for reference. I am using the FirstName and LastName but keep comming up with duplicates of first or last names that keep me from getting a complete list. Both lists have additional information as non driving employees and Vehicles without assigned drivers.

How can you use 2 fields in each table to identify the correct oinformation in each table?

I am new with Access 2003 so please forgive my ignorance.



Answer
Do I understand this correctly? I need to know how your data is currently structured.

1st table: EmployeeID, FirstName, LastName, plus some additional employee information

2nd table: FirstName, LastName, VIN?

My question is: What exactly does the 2nd table represent? Cars?

Are you trying to match employees to vehicles? If so, I recommend this structure:

Employee Info ----> VehicleAssignments <-------Vehicles

The purpose of the table called VehicleAssignments is to assign cars to employees. You will need to include EmployeeID and VehicleID (I suggest you use an ID as opposed to a VIN to uniquely identify cars) in this table. The ID fields, not the name fields, serve as the link fields between tables.

Let me know if you need further help!

How did this insurance company know who my last policy was with and when it expired?




Guy


I let my car insurance lapse with company A. I went into company B to get a quote, and they were able to tell who my last car insurance policy was with and when it expired. How did they know this?
Yes, I gave them my driver's license number and VIN.
Casey, I didn't lie...I'm not sure why you think I did.



Answer
Insurance companies report the info to DMV. Insurance companies have access to the DMV databases.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment