Friday, March 28, 2014

Am I at Fault? (Car Wreck Need More Info.)?




Thomas


So I was driving my car on a straight road in front of my school. I miss a turn and decide I need to turn around. I see a parking space to the left of me (I'm driving down the right side of the road). I'm about to make a U-turn like maneuver into the parking space. I forgot to put my blinker on but I was going pretty slow (Brake lights were on). She tries to pass me in a Double yellow bars road (No passing road). And hits the front end of my car as she [SWERVES] off into the other side of the road, and onto the sidewalk / fence. There are NO brake marks or any sign of slowing down when she hit me on the road which indicates she WAS trying to pass me because she was speeding up. I was driving an Un-insured car (I know that's my fault I'm not complaining about that) But I want to know if I'm at fault and what you think will happen please (I'm not rich or anything and there is no way I can pay for their car, Which is insured). They called the cops immediately, and the cop (My school resource officer) says that it was my fault though, but I don't think he got the entire story correct, plus, I'm not sure if she got a ticket yet. No one was hurt (Thankfully). I already got Two tickets, I'm just wondering if I will have to pay for her car.


Answer
Without a doubt, it was your fault. You slowed down and probably drifted to the right (so you could make the U turn) so the car behind you sped up to get around you as quick as possible. As they were going around you, you made a U turn (over double yellow....illegal) and got struck by the passing car.
Be glad you didnt get a ticket for the illegal U turn.
Chances are you will loose your license with this one compounded on top of 2 tickets.
If you are under 18, YOUR PARENTS will be liable for all the damages that you caused to the other vehicle. If they do not agree to fix it, they can (and probably will) get sued.

where can I find a good used alpha omega car seat?




Matt's


they cost a lot of money brand new!! I also like the britax car seats too!


Answer
Hi! Saw your post and just wanted to pass along a little info. Its actually unsafe to get a used car seat unless it is coming from a trusted friend or relative and you are 100% positive:
1)it has never been in any wreck
2)it has all the original pieces, including manual
3)it has never been dropped, which means never been checked as luggage at the airport, either, since this frequently happens when checked or gate checked .
4)it is less than 6 years old
5)the straps have never been completely submerged or washed with anything other than mild soap(it messes up the flame retardent treatment)

If you wouldn't trust the seller with your child's life, don't buy a car seat from them. For $40 you can get a Cosco Scenera from Walmart. It rear faces to a whopping 35lbs, which is important b/c kids should stay rear facing as long as possible, the American Academy of Pediatrics says keep them rear facing preferably for their first 2 years of life. Then it goes to 40lbs front facing. It won't last child as long forward facing as some others, but for $40, its a great deal. Or, call your local police station and ask about car seats. Most have programs in place to give free/inexpensive car seat to families that need them. As for how expensive they are, I wish they weren't so expensive, either, however, a car seat tech put it into good perspective for me. Think of other things you have bought recently. How many times you've eaten out, gone to the movies, rented movies, bought new clothes/shoes/jewelry, gotten hair done, that new flat screen/plasma TV, etc. whatever it is. Cut back on some things and you can manage to get a safe seat for your child. After all, its more important.

On another point, about the Alpha Omega seats: So...knowing all that, here's some about specific seats. Please don't get a Graco Comfort Sport. Car seat techs call it the 'crappysport'. LOL Its a crappy seat that won't last your child very long b/c it has a really short shell. The straps twist all the time, and if they're twisted they won't support your child in a wreck properly. They're hard to install. There's nothing good about these seats except perhaps they're cheap sometimes. Ditto the Safety1st 3-in-1/Cosco Alpha Omega/Eddie Bauer 3-in1 seats. These are all the same company - same seat, just different covers. They stink. Hard to install, b/c of narrow belt paths. Ever tried to wash a skinny cup by hand? Now imagine that skinny cup with pointy edges. That's what putting your hand through these to install them is like. AND they have too short a shell to really go to 40lbs. And they do not make good boosters. Also, most kids have to use boosters until they're at least 8 years old. Car seats expire 6 years after the date of manufacture, so no matter what they say it is NOT the last seat you'll ever need to buy.

Here are some GREAT seats to look at:
The Britax Marathon/Boulevard/Decathalon (These 3 are the same seat, just different variances of luxury additions, with the Marathon being the cheapest base model) can be found for regular price of $269, and on sale at Albee Baby online for $209-$219. The Marathon a wide open easy to route belt path, which makes using it correctly a lot easier, as do the built in lockoffs, which mean you never again have to use a locking clip. I can get it into 4 different vehicles in under 2 minutes. Because of the way the base is made, it fits in most cars. And, it is worth the money, b/c it lasts usually twice as long as most other car seats (all car seats expire 6 years after the date of manufacture) lasting a baby till they are 5-6 years old, where most at Walmart will only last till 2-4 years old. Rear faces to 33lbs, then forward to 65lbs. and top slots 17inches tall, lasts most kids to ages 5-6 years old.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance (not the original Triumph, make sure it says Advance) is a great seat. $150 version at Babies R Us has padding similar to Britax seats, top slots of 17", harnesses to 35lbs rear facing, and 50lbs forward facing. $120 Walmart version just has little less plush padding. Wide open belt path, easy to install, though it doesn't have built in lockoffs. The harness adjusts at the front of the car seat, you don't have to take the car seat out of the car just to raise/lower the straps. It's one of only 2 seats that does this (The Britax Boulevard is the other, I believE), and it has infinite harness adjustment so the harness always fits perfectly until its outgrown. No more tugging straps to tighten them either. You tighten and loosen the harness using knobs on the side of the seat. As a major bonus, it can be used in a recline position even in forward facing mode. Awesome for kids who still sleep in the car. I LOVE THIS SEAT! LOL My son, who is too big for every other car seat at Walmart has the same amount of room in this as the Britax Marathon.

The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe Convertible seat is great, it is made by Britax, without all the frills. It's the same shell as a Marathon, but for less than half the price. $130 at Albee Baby online with free shipping, or at their eBay name, babysurplus. Rear faces to 33lbs, forward to 55lbs. Easy to use, f

No comments:

Post a Comment