Saturday, October 5, 2013

Title did not get transferred in my name in New York state DMV?

car info via reg on HaCk-O-PeDia - The Hacker's Encyclopedia: August 2009
car info via reg image



durbanskie


Hello,

I lost my title from the dealer for the car that I had bought in the state of New York. The dealer is out of business so I can't ask for it, but I do have the bill of sale. I am located in California. I have the car parked at my place, and the ownership of the car is still not in my name so I can not drive it.


How would I be able to transfer the car's title to my name as of right now?
Please, any tips and suggestions would be of great help!
If you have any notes/info I haven't informed you of, please ask so I can note it in the additional notes section.

Thanks!!!



Answer
Bonded title. It can be complicated, but will allow you to register and drive the car. Make sure it will pass the needed inspections though before you spend a whole lot on getting the title. It's going to be further complicated because you don't have a California plate on it I assume. You might want to look into a registration service rather than doing it yourself.

See https://ameribonds.com/surety-bonds/california-registration-service-bonds/

Instructions

1

Make a diligent effort to acquire the evidence of ownership and any supporting documents required by appealing to prior owners or authorities via certified mail. Keep receipts of the certified mail sent in order to document your search efforts to submit to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Allow recipients a minimum of 30 days to respond. If a response is received, do not open the letter.
2

Obtain a Statement of Facts, or REG 256 Form, from an office of the DMV or from the DMV website if the vehicle in question is valued at $4,999 or less, or if the bond is being requested by a dealer, dismantler or registration service. Complete the form, which requires you to certify that you made a diligent effort to acquire evidence of ownership and any validating documents. Attach unopened letters received in response to your request for evidence of ownership or supporting documents and any mail receipts for requests for which you received no response.
3

Obtain a Motor Vehicle Ownership Surety Bond, or REG 5057 Form, from an office of the DMV or from the DMV website, if the vehicle is valued at $5,000 or more, or if the bond is being requested by a dealer, dismantler or registration service. Complete the form, which requires you to provide information about the vehicle, including California license plate number, vehicle identification number and year, make and model of vehicle. Submit to the DMV, along with the REG 256 Form, if required.

I want my first car back?!?!?




gatsoman


My first car was great (I bought it in 1995 and it was a 1987 E-reg in pretty good shape). How do I go about tracking down what has happened to it, and if it has not been scrapped, who now owns it?? I'm in the UK.


Answer
I have not used this but read about it.

might just be in the US, but worth a try?

lost car registry


http://www.lost-car-registry.com/submit.html



NOTE: You MUST include a way for people to contact you - either an e-mail address or a phone number, or your listing cannot be posted. Also, please try and include a VIN for the vehicle you're looking for, whenever possible. If you don't have a VIN anymore, be sure to include as much detailed information about the car as possible. Submissions that are too vague or lacking important details cannot be added to the site.

If you do not include at least a VIN or a license plate number, your submission will most likely be rejected, so keep that in mind. Please consider that before sending this form. Also, do not write in all capital letters. Thank you.

this is the site owners info: (not mine)
If you have any questions or comments about this site, feel free to contact me at lostcarregistry@yahoo.com, or via mail at:

The Lost Car Registry
c/o Keith Ingersoll
430 N. Crooks Rd.
#33
Clawson, MI 48017
USA
Tel: (734) 834-5988 (Mon.-Fri. after 6 p.m. EST, Sat.-Sun. any time)

I look forward to hearing from you, and as always, best of luck with your search.

Regards,

Keith Ingersoll
The Lost Car Registry




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment