Tuesday, December 10, 2013

How can I compare my current tax exempt salary and benefits to job offers back in the States?

car electronics info on car stereo in the blue one Company news Shenzhen Kingyoo Electronics ...
car electronics info image



jpollar


I am trying to find out a way to compare my current NET income to what I could potentially NET back home. All of the salary comparison websites do not accurately calculate my tax exemption status and cost of living (lower) here in Germany.

My guess is that I'll need to almost double my salary as I'm not paying most taxes here in Germany. Here's some more info about my situation.

1. Income tax exemption - I don't pay US or German income taxes. I'm exempt from both. I'm not paying US state income taxes either. This probably saves me at least 30% every year.

2. Sales taxes - I only pay sales taxes when I eat at a restaurant or shop for groceries on the economy (a german grocery store). I mostly shop at the commissary on base...and they sell everything at cost...you can't get groceries cheaper anywhere else. All other goods (utilities, clothing, cars, electronics, etc) are tax exempt. I prepay for gasoline (current US national average price without sales tax).

Any suggestions?
I'm not a GS employee (civil servant) or in the military. I work for a private contractor. I file the 2555 with my 1040 every year. My taxable income is just below the allowed amount.

I am paying Social Security and Medicare.
I also have 3 dependents. My wife also works for a private contractor and is tax exempt.
I file EXEMPT on my W4. That way taxes are not taken from my paycheck. That's what we call exempt status here. Call it what you want. We're given a 3 month extension to file for being overseas.



Answer
I am assuming that since your income is exempt, you ARE NOT an employee of the US Government, and are therefore entitled to the Foreign Earned Income Exemption (FEIE) of up to $82,400 (as of 2006). I am also assuming that you are not receiving any housing allowance and that you are not subject to SS and Medicare Tax. Finally, I am assuming that your income would equal your adjusted gross income (i.e., no adjustments to income and no tax credits).

Under this set of assumptions, if you are earning $82,400 of exempt income, an equivalent taxable income would be roughly $114,000. Note that this amount does not take into consideration state income taxes as you did not indicate in what state you would be residing. Also excluded is the impact of sales taxes since they are a function of your level of consumption.

The calculation is rather convoluted and I am not aware of any readily available salary conversion sites. This is probably due in part to the many variables that would come into play.

For your information, that $114,000 salary would roughly break down as follows:

$114,000
- 6,045 SS Tax at 6.2% of the first $97,500
- 1,653 Medicare Tax at 1.45%
- 23,857 Federal Tax (assuming 1 exemption and std. deduction)
$ 82,445

any way i can fix my car having electric problems after driving through a puddle?




Michael


about 2 weeks ago it started flooding in my area due to some bad storms. i was going home from work and went about 50mph straight through a deep puddle in the road. i didnt to it on purpose i couldnt see it. but waves shot well over my entire car and dimmed my headlights and the backlit stuff on the inside like my guages and the air conditioner settings. this was only momentarily and it started working normal again seconds later. a day or two later the water that had soaked up into my carpet started molding and smelling gross. i had to scrub my carpet with pine sol and it got rid of that problem. but now just today, my car electronics just started going crazy. my stereo, fuel guage, temperature guage, and even my headlights keep randomly dying then coming back on. sometimes 5 or 6 times consistently. that light that comes on when someone isnt wearing their seat belt stays on and wont go off. but heres the thing. its just me and 2 of my buddies who just graduated with me and we are on our senior trip. its 2 18 year olds and a 17 year old who know next to nothing about cars. and we are 5 hours away from home. if my headlights go out while im driving at night again i could get into a serious accident and potentially really hurt or kill one of us or another driver. if i get pulled over for it the cop will make me fix it immediately and i dont have the money. is there something i can do to fix it or at least delay the negative effects til we get home? any help or info to whats going on with my wiring would be helpful. thanks.

ps the car is an 05 chevy malibu classic
dont go through the carwash with a malibu? why not? i did that this morning actually, could that have caused it instead of the puddle?



Answer
That's why I wouldn't have a Malibu. If you ever get it fixed, never go to the carwash.

It should eventually dry out. There may be corrosion. Tighten all electrical connections you can see and spray with WD40. Maybe you should just file and insurance claim.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment