Sunday, April 27, 2014

Car insurance?




pink_lemon


My auto insurance has expired and I'm kinda looking for a new car insurance. I can extend the previous car insurance, but I just want to know about other car insurances as well so that I can make a good choice.
I took a look at many car insurance company websites, but it seemed like I need to put all my personal information (not only about my car and my email address but also my home address, phone# etc) to get a quote. I'm worried that maybe they would send me all kinds of junk mail kinda stuff to my house if I put my address on the form to get a quote.
Do you know any good ways of getting a quote without telling them my personal info? Any recommendation which car insurance company is good?

Btw I've never got into any car accidents so I just need a cheap auto insurance. I drive '83 caddi.



Answer
I know you have concerns about privacy but you should know that in many states insurance companies that collect personal information from you for the purposes of giving you a quote are forbidden from using that information for marketing purposes.
And, it is very important to give that information to the company/agent because they need it in order to generate the proper underwriting to come up with a quote.
In the absense of information, they will make assumptions that may not get you the best quote.
In other words, if you want to qualify for the maximum number and amount of discounts, you should give them the information they desire.
Also, to be sure, if there is a box for other comments, you can ask to enact the "Opt Out" rights you are granted under the federal Gramm-Leach-Bliley (or GLB) act which then more specifically prohibits the companies from sharing your personal information with others, sometimes even within their own company.

Car Insurance?




dana c


I would like to know:

1. How does car insurace operate?

2. If i were to get car insurace, would i apply for it before i purchase a vehicle from a dealer or afterwards?



Answer
I answer this question twenty times a day! :) Means I'm gonna be wordy.

I do that a lot. Trust me.

How does insurance work? Well, insurance is a form of 'risk management'. You can't take the 'risk' of possibly being in a situation where you have to pay for things that you are liable for since really, it gets expensive, so you transfer that risk to a company that has enough money behind it to pay for your liabilities. I'll give you an example here: you're driving down the road and you look down for a moment and plow right into me. Since I wouldn't have had a car stuck in my side if not for you and your look down, you're responsible (or liable) for what you've done to me. My pretty Jetta (I'm totally pretending here) now has $15,000 worth of damages on it that you caused, and I've got whiplash, injuries that amount to, say, $10,000 with of doctor's care. So now you have $25,000 of problems that you've caused to me and without insurance, you'd be hocking everything you own, right? Since that's hardly possible, you instead went and bought an insurance policy through someone a few months ago and in exchange for premium (money you have to pay to them), they accepted responsibility for paying for the damages and injuries you cause (up to your liability limit, the max you elect for them to pay up to). So instead THEY send the check to fix me all up, and the world is happy again! That's the basics, though hardly everything. If you want more in-depth, you should wikipedia.org it! Lots of good info there.

As for getting a new car, you'll want to get your quotes before you buy the car to make sure that you're not going to get in over your head. Once you have a price and know for sure that you're getting the vehicle, you can actually go ahead and get the policy! You can't buy the car without it, so waiting until after you already have it doesn't even work. And if it doesn't work out and you don't get the car after all, your insurance company can void out the policy as if you never bought it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment