Monday, April 21, 2014

How do you get info about a car by running the vin #'s?

Q. I've tryed running the vin #, but it only has 13 #'s instead of 17 like todays auto's,its a 79 trans am,can't find a web site to do this. Please help?.


Answer
There is a book called camaro by the numbers This will be able to provide the info. They make them for all classic GM's. It will tell you how to get the info from the vin tag and the trim tag on the firewall. I used this book for my 69 camaro, and I believe the book went up to 1981.

79 trans ams rock! I totally love it in Billy madison when he pulls up to school blasting billy squire. LOL

MY first CAR HELP!!!!?

Q. ok i'm 17 and i'm about to buy a used car. everyone tells me that honda accords are great and i want one. i found this particular one, tell me what you think

HONDA ACCORD 1989-$980
200,000 MILES

what do you think? is this a good choice? is there anything you recommend? please help me!!!!!


Answer
Hey congratulations on your first car!!
I think I got mine around that age and it was the exact same car you're looking at only it had more miles on it. My aunt gave it to my sister and me.

Anyway, I think that it's a great car to have, especially as your first vehicle. I'm not saying this because I had one and I'm tooting my own horn, or Honda's horn for that matter, but for the mere fact that I was T-boned IN this car by a woman in a Toyota Corolla going 55 mph, and this car saved my life.

The doors are not plastic, they're heavy duty made of metal, will rust of you scratch them kind of doors, not like on new cars now that if a shopping cart bumps it, you'll have a big ol $5000 dent. No.
The on scene officers and ambulatory crew told me that the car saved my life because the car doors took the majority of the damage, and although my head did slam into the driver window, I was not ejected from the vehicle. (Always wear your seat belt!!!)
Mine was dark grey LXi, and my cousin had tinted the windows pretty dark... and put a system in it lol...

Anyway, if you can get the vehicle identification number (VIN) and pop it into Car Fax (http://www.carfax.com) it will tell you what accidents or issues have been reported with that vehicle. (Be sure that you get the VIN down correctly, and once you type it in, BE SURE that the VIN report that comes up is indeed for a 1989 Honda Accord.). You'll want to pay attention to the mileage for any events on the report and make sure they are in order (that the mileage wasn't twittered with). You will have to pay for this report, but it is worth it.

Also be sure to check out Kelly Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com) to see what the private sale value for the car is based on what the body is like, and input info about any mechanical defects or paint issues, etc. And you can take these numbers when you're buying, assuming it is a private sale, to negotiate with the seller. If the numbers on KBB are higher than what the car is being advertised/sold for, then you can rightly assume that it may have some mechanical or cosmetic issues and that the seller has already tried to account for these issues in the price. (Still doesn't mean you shouldn't go there with your best bargaining face on though.)

You did not mention if the seller has informed you if it is in pretty good mechanical condition or not. I certainly hope it is. And to be sure that you do NOT get ripped off, the seller should NOT have a problem with you taking the car to your mechanic (or the dealership for $80) to have it fully inspected, and may even go along with you. If the sale is not "AS-IS" (meaning take it or leave it, if it dies on the way home that's your problem once you drive off my property and/or hand over the money) then you can negotiate a lower price based on the mechanics findings.

Obviously it won't be in PERfect condition, but it will give you an idea of what to expect with the car, and actually the mechanic can tell you flat out whether or not he thinks you should buy it or not based on his or her findings.

Oh and another thing to be very weary of is rust. Because it's not an all plastic vehicle (lol), these particular Accords can get some major rust if not taken care of. If you happen to notice any rust around the front window or any other part of the frame of the vehicle, it's a good idea to take a pass on it, because rust repair is VERY expensive. And if it is anywhere near the frame, the integrity of the vehicle structure has been compromised, and honestly if you were my brother or son or whatever, I wouldn't want you rollin in a car with a damaged frame. It will not protect you well in the event of an accident and will make the ride less enjoyable also (as a side note).

Oh and insurance was VERY manageable for that aged vehicle and my age (no accidents, and a fresh drivers license). I had a $10/hr job and my mom added me to her AAA and I paid her for it. Sometimes I only paid half though because I worked part time, and she let me keep some money to get my school supplies and stuff too as well as lunches at school too.

Congratulations on the car though and good luck!!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment