Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I'm looking for typical British phrases, terms and words. Phrases that Americians don't usually know.?




Mike O


The few I know are "Gobsmacked" for surprised, "Anti clockwise" for "counter clockwise" and I think "fries" are known as "chips".

What are some others or where on line could I find some others?



Answer
American - British
adhesive tape -sticking plaster
aisle -gangway
babby carriage -pram
barrette -hair slide
bathrobe -dressing gown
bobby pin - hair grip
business suit -lounge suite
can -tin
checkers -droughts
chips -crisps (the kind that come in a bag)
closet -wardrobe
comforter -eiderdown
cookie - biscuit
cuffs (pants) - turn-ups (trousers)
dead end - cul-de-sac
diaper - nappy
do the dishes - wash up
drugstore - chemist's
eggplant - aubergine
elevator - lift
eraser - rubber
fall - autumn
freeway -motorway
flashlight -torch
garbage/trash -rubbish
trash can -dustbin
garters -suspenders
gear shift -gear lever
goose bumps -goose pimples
hamburger bum -bap
hamburger meat -mince
hardware store -ironmonger
homely = ugly -homely = pleasant
jump rope -skipping rope
lawyer -solicitor
lease/rent -let
line -queue
liquor -spirits
lumber room - box room
mail - post
make a reservation - book
molasses - black treacle
monkey wrench -spanner
motorbike - moped
movie - film
muffler - silencer
news stand - newsagent
nipple - teat
one way ticket - single ticket
overalls - dungarees
pacifier - dummy
package - parcel
parking lot -car park
pantry - larder
parka - anorak
pants - trousers
pavement -road
period -full stop
Popsicle -iced lolly
powdered/confectioner's sugar - icing sugar
principal - headmaster
purse - handbag
round trip ticket - return ticket
rubber - contraceptive
sherbet -sorbet
sidewalk - pavement/footpath
stove - cooker
subway - tube/underground
tea cart - tea trolley
thumb tackk - drawing pin
tic-tac-toe - naughts and crosses
traffic circle - round-about
truck -lorry
undershirt -vest
vacation - holiday
vacuum - hover
vest - waistcoat
wash cloth - face flannel
windshield - windscreen
yard - garden
z= zee - z= zed
zip code - postal code
zucchini - courgettes

Long survey...? Part 1?

Q. Do you have a cat?
When the last time you said "ow"?
What colour are your socks?
Do you like sushi? 
What type of phone do you have? 
Have you ever slept on the floor? 
How would you feel if you had to eat only apple sauce, soy sauce snd rice for the rest of your life?
Do you speak punjabi?
Do you have fuzzy dice?
What time is it? 
What tv shows do you like? 
What's your gender?
Do you like someone? Tell me about him/ her?
What type of YouTube videos do you like? 
Do you eat meat? 
Would you rather eat human  ot be eaten by humans? 
What's your opinion of this SOPA stuff?
Do you like circles? 
What is your favourite number?
Do you like Dexter? 
Fluffy or hard pillows? 
Zee or zed? 
What colour are your eyes? 
Did you ever have a myspace? 
Do you live by a body of water? 
Chocolate or vanilla?
Do you like hello kitty? 
Have you ever dyed your hair?
Do you pronounce bag 'bahhh g or bay g'.? 
Do you ski? 
Do you surf? 
Do you dougie? 
What's your favourite movie?
Do you like pumpkin pie? 
If you had the chance to live in space for 6 months, would you?
Is your hair curly, straight, wavy or non existance. 
Do you like plants?
Do you have an apple/ blackberry or android product? Which one?
Did you get chicken pox yet? 
Do you want to get married?
Do you want kids? 
What does 'life' mean to you?
Natural hair colour?
Current hair colour?
Do you speak Russian? 
Coke or pepsi? 
Religion?
Do you have a younger brother? 
Who's your president? 
What books do you like? 
Do you think mr crabs daughter is his real daughter.. Or adopted? 
Do you like cheese?
Favourite childood tv show? 
Can you lick your elbow?
Do you like popcorn? 
Do you see movies in theatres often?
Do you like bacon? 
Do you like salad? 
When is your birthday month? 
How cold/warm is it?
Do you have a dog? 
Would you rather live forever or die but be a ghost, but no one could see you?
Do you have big eyes?
Do you think white bread is gross?
Do you think glasses are ugly? 
When do you want to move out? 
Rate: /10


Answer
Do you have a cat? Dog 4eva.
When the last time you said "ow"? When I fell down the stairs headfirst this morning. It was quite a big ow.
What colour are your socks? I'm barefoot.
Do you like sushi? Not really.
What type of phone do you have? Blackberry.
Have you ever slept on the floor? Yes. Many times. I like to pass out after drinking. And I like sleepovers with many people.
How would you feel if you had to eat only apple sauce, soy sauce snd rice for the rest of your life? I hate soy sauce. So very angry with whoever was forcing this upon me,
Do you speak punjabi? No. I do speak German though. Aber nicht Punjabi.
Do you have fuzzy dice? I don't have a car.
What time is it? almost half eight in the evening.
What tv shows do you like? Psychoville, Sherlock, I watched Mob Wives a few times for the amusement.
What's your gender? FEMALE
Do you like someone? Tell me about him/ her? I like my girlfriend (Yes, I'm gay). She's gorgeous and funny and wonderful.
What type of YouTube videos do you like? News videos. Or ones of teenage Americans attempting to pole dance and falling over in their gran's bedroom.
Do you eat meat? Yes.
Would you rather eat human ot be eaten by humans? Eat a human. Nobody gets to eat me.
What's your opinion of this SOPA stuff? SOPA is horrible. They could really shut down the internet. And I LOVE Megaupload!
Do you like circles? Yes. I hate drawing them, though.
What is your favourite number? 18
Do you like Dexter? No
Fluffy or hard pillows? fluffy
Zee or zed? zed. I'm English and awesome.
What colour are your eyes? dark brown
Did you ever have a myspace? no. i was always too cool.
Do you live by a body of water? No. But my mum lives by the beach. We visit her sometimes.
Chocolate or vanilla? chocolate.
Do you like hello kitty? no.
Have you ever dyed your hair? no. I like my hair colour.
Do you pronounce bag 'bahhh g or bay g'.? I pronounce it bahg. There is only one aitch.
Do you ski? I have skiied. I am not skiing at the moment. Nor do I do it regularly.
Do you surf? See skiing.
Do you dougie? I don't. Again, too cool.
What's your favourite movie? Psycho.
Do you like pumpkin pie? Ugh, no. I like pork pies, though.
If you had the chance to live in space for 6 months, would you? For two months, yes. Six months? No.
Is your hair curly, straight, wavy or non existance. Curly
Do you like plants? They're ok.
Do you have an apple/ blackberry or android product? Which one? I have an iPod Touch and a blackberry pearl phone.
Did you get chicken pox yet? Yes. Ouch.
Do you want to get married? Not really. But I am not opposed to long-term relationships.
Do you want kids? I can't really have biological ones since I'm gay. But, again, I wouldn't be against adopting.
What does 'life' mean to you? Having fun and making the most of it.
Natural hair colour? Dark brown
Current hair colour? Dark brown
Do you speak Russian? No. But my friend does. And my uncle does. He saw frozen Lenin.
Coke or pepsi? Pepsi, but still ugh. Lemonade!
Religion? No religion.
Do you have a younger brother? I have two. And five older ones.
Who's your president? David Cameron is our Prime Minister. I miss Gordo.
What books do you like? Ones by Sebastian Faulks. I like the Great Gatsby too.
Do you think mr crabs daughter is his real daughter.. Or adopted? Real.
Do you like cheese? In moderation.
Favourite childhood tv show? Trumpton.
Can you lick your elbow? No.
Do you like popcorn? Salted, homemade and not microwave. I'm picky.
Do you see movies in theatres often? I do in Cinemas.
Do you like bacon? Yes.
Do you like salad? Not really.
When is your birthday month? July
How cold/warm is it? Quite cold. I'm still wearing my coat inside. 3 hours since I came home.
Do you have a dog? Our house has three. But only one is mine. He's amazing, though.
Would you rather live forever or die but be a ghost, but no one could see you? Live forever. I'd rather make a difference.
Do you have big eyes? Quite big.
Do you think white bread is gross? Ugh, yes.
Do you think glasses are ugly? No. I wore glasses.
When do you want to move out? Next year!
Rate: /10 7. It was looong. But quite good questions. BYE!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment