Saturday, January 11, 2014

Professionals only: When is the best time to send out a press release?

car wash news on Someone give the lady a wand, and a pressure washer.
car wash news image



chikita797


I am running a car wash for JDRF at my job. We want to notify the radio stations and newspaper that we are having a car wash. I want to send out a press release. I took two PR classes, I just can't remember what the best time to send out a press release is! Thanks for your help!


Answer
If you're asking time of day: as a journalist, I get these things all day long. But speaking from my PR background, I think its best to see all mass mailings and news releases when I arrive at work in the morning - so the best time to send would be late in the day or after hours. The most important part is to keep it brief and if sending to multiple media outlets, bcc all the addresses. In about 4-7 days you could follow up with a phone call.

If you're asking time of year: For a car wash event I would expect a release coinciding with the onset of warmer weather.

What is the risk or chances at this business?




QA


Hello everyone.

I live in a city of about 35,000 people. Recently I saw a business ad in the news. In short, they were selling a car wash for 207K. My question is what are the chances of someone succeeding at this type of business, and what kind of risks would the prospecting entrepreneur be looking into?
Located in Michigan



Answer
I spend 5 years working in the car wash business. I worked for a very successful company and considered buying and operating a small one myself.

Here are a few facts you should consider.

1. You will need to be able to do all the maintenance yourself. If not, your toast from the start.

2. Some guy is selling because it is not throwing off the cash he wants to justify his time and/or investment. Nearly no one sells a car wash that is doing great. They guy I worked for sold out when he turned 87.

3. Even a self serve coin op requires at least 25-30 hours a week of work. If it is a busy location and making money it can easily require 60 hours a week. If you can't spend this much time, your toast. Oh, and it is hard physical labor too.

4. Good help is nearly impossible to find and you must pay them very well, or your toast.

5. The location that makes the most money is always the newest one in town. So at the least you can figure that you are going to need to do a major remodel and cleanup. for a 6 bay self serve or 2 bay roll over you well need to spend an easy $35K up front. If not, your toast.

6. Is it in a location that becoming more desirable or less desirable to live in? Declining or even stable neighborhoods = lost income.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment