Sunday, June 1, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Quest Kayak?




ranran4


I got a used @10 ft. kayak that is from Dick's Sporting Goods. The boat is red, and the name across the back of it says "Quest" which is the only marking on it.

I called the company and they were gracious enough to give me an owner's manual, and a new foot peg, both for free. Unfortunately, the manual did not give me the weight limit for the boat, which is important; since I am right at the weight limit for some of the similarly styled boats that do list their specs.

Anybody know the specs for this boat, and who in the world made it? Obviously Dick's didn't. What are your impressions; if you own this boat as well? I have searched the web for this information, to no avail at this point.



Answer
The KL Industries Quest is basically junk -- a cheaply molded (likely in China) plastic bathtub with few performance characteristics. If it was a car, it would be a Yugo (you're probably too young to remember those). It may float, but it won't track or handle well. The manufacturer doesn't publish a load rating (no doubt because their low quality control probably results in a wide variation in the integrity of the boats) but I'd guess it is probably around the range of similar 9 to 10 foot "rec" boats -- 225 lbs. maximum. Bear in mind this includes you, your gear, your paddle, your water bottles, etc. So if you are over 200 lbs you are really pushing it -- and any time you exceed 80% of a boat's capacity you will affect it's performance -- it will ride lower and be slower. As the previous person recommended, you should get flotation bags for it to fill up the stern and bow -- otherwise if you swamp it the boat will sink.

As an "entry level" kayak (frankly, a term I dislike) it will get you out on a pond or shallow creek for dabbling around or light fishing in warm weather, but I would not use it in a large, high-flow river, shipping lanes or anywhere there is wind, waves or surf. I would also not take it farther from shore than you are willing and able to swim.

That said, you can't lose if you bought it for a good price. Maybe it will work fine for you (tip, get a good paddle with a fiberglass shaft, not aluminum, and you will enjoy paddling it MUCh more.) But if you find you love kayaking you are likely to find it frustratingly slow and hard to control as your skills improve and will probably want to upgrade soon. The good news is you will probably be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it when you trade up.

Name things that make you happy (in a list)?




bree


the longest list wins best answer!


Answer
1.my husband
2. my 13 year old daughter
3. my 18 year old daughter
4. my 11 year old step daughter
5. my computer
6. puppies
7. dog
8. cats
9. kitties
10. good news
11. diamonds
12. rubies
13. smiles
14. happy people
15. a good new mexican dinner
16. Johnny Depp
17. Nicholas Cage
18. margaritas
19. birthday party
20. birthdays
21. flowers
22. giving flowers
23. receiving flowers
24. growing flowers
25. clowns
26. balloons
27. carnivals
28. circus
29. raccoons
30. ferrets
31. music
32. classic rock music
33. good movies
34. black and white movies
35. a good blood pressure reading
36. going a week without gaining a pound
37. reading a good book
38. my mother
39. mother-in-law
40. talking with children
41. going to work
42. coming home from work
43. the beginning of the day
44. the end of the day
45. April
46. November
47. Christmas
48. flying to Virginia
49. visiting Washington, D.C.
50. visiting museums
51. buying birthday presents
52. buying Christmas presents
53. drinking a vanilla milkshake
54. eating neopolitan ice-cream
55. fried chicken and mashed potatoes
56. baking for holidays
57. watching my daughter play softball
58. watching my daughter play volleyball
59. seeing my daughter's good progress reports from school
60. decorating the Christmas tree
61. writing letters
62. taking a bubble bath
63. having sex with my hubby
64. eating popcorn and watching movies
65. watching the Yankees win
66. watching the Super Bowl with friends
67. attending office parties
68. window shopping
69. shopping with my girls
70. cruising in my new cars
71. crocheting scarves
72. crocheting baby blankets
73. visiting with relatives
74. visiting my ex-mother-in-law
75. eating grapes
76. eating strawberries
77. picnics
78. thinking about my daughters
79. knowing that hubby adores me
80. knowing that my family is happy
81. knowing that my family is healthy
82. buying jewelry
83. emeralds
84. dark chocolate
85. Yahoo Answers!
86. Desperate Housewives
87. Grey's Anatomy
88. stars
89. the full moon
90. rainbows
91. rain
92. cloudy days
93. cool days
94. wearing flannel shirts
95. the color pink
96. having my nails done
97. breaking even with the IRS
98. knowing that I have a part-time job this summer
99. planning our trip to see the Yankees play the Rockies
100. eating pizza
101. not listening to the news
102. hanging out with my mother-in-law
103. seeing babies laugh
104. playing with my goddaughter
105. coloring with new crayons
106. playing PIT
107. playing RACK-O
108. surfing the net
109. keeping a journal
110. flea markets
111. clearance sales
112. the smell of cookies baking
113. organizing things
114. collecting tins
115. wrestling with my younger daughter
116. making breakfast for my family
117. letting daughter have sleep overs
118. jumping rope
119. taking a stroll with my adorable husband
120. holding hands with my husband
121. spending any second I can with my family
122. talking with my mother on the phone
123. talking with my best friends on the phone
124. knowing that I do have some really great friends
125. snow
126. building a snowman
127. making angels in the snow
128. having a snow ball fight
129. smoking a cigarette every now and then
130. wrapping Christmas presents
131. bowling
132. not having to see the dentist
133. when the mammogram is over!
134. waking up before the alarm rings
135. shopping for prom dresses
136. grape gum
137. driving a huge truck
138. shopping in Georgetown
139. wearing flip flops
140. having my hair and make-up look perfect
141. working on a jigsaw puzzle with my mother
142. finishing a crossword puzzle
143. "Desperately Seeking Susan"
144. "Polyester"
145. Mexican music
146. mariachi music
147. listening to my daughter play her Clarinet
148. orchids
149. moustaches
150. eating fresh tortillas and sopapillas
151. prison movies
152. crime stories
153. parades
154. hot air balloons
155. praying the rosary
156. reciting the pledge of allegiance
157. staying the night in a hotel
158. a decent continental breakfast
159. pretty hearts
160. valentine's day




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment