Saturday, November 2, 2013

What would it take for a cop to abandon a traffic stop to catch a different driver?

car info free on Volkswagen Beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
car info free image



rondoggnut


I am not arguing that my assumptions are correct. But it seems to make sense, to me. When a cop is in the middle of a traffic stop, would he abandon it to catch a different traffic violation? What type of violation would motivate this? Speeding? Unlikely. But what about if he witnessed someone blow through a red light? Would he pursue it then?

========================================================================
EXTRA INFO, FEEL FREE TO IGNORE

In 17 years driving, I have always kinda chuckled at people who slow down when they see blue lights at a traffic stop, as if they are more likely to get stopped. I've always seen the opposite: the cop is most likely busy with the current stop, unless it's ending, so you should have a BETTER chance to get away with it, no? Especially on the freeway, it's probable that only one patrol car is in the area, so it seems safe to assume that one can speed freely, no?

But even on your standard 35 mph road, I tend to think that very few things would motivate the officer to abandon his current traffic stop. Particularly with speeding, I find it very unlikely that another cop is assisting in an operation. It's certainly possible, but in many cases like tonight, it's midnight and the roads are clear. So, as long as the current stop isn't wrapping up, it should be perfectly safe to violate most traffic laws, no?

I took it a step further tonight. A traffic stop was in progress about 100 ft from the next intersection. The light turned yellow as I approached it, but I knew I would definitely not make it in time. I was right, because it turned red when I was about 20 ft from the stop line.

The funny thing is that I would have stopped if the cops WASN'T there, on the basis that he would have to witness it, and then abandon his current stop, just to get me instead. My reasoning is that he likely won't even pay attention to trivial things like that, particularly because he THINKS that no one is brazen enough to do it. But supposing he DOES witness it, would he pursue it? A near miss? Sure. But on the basis of boldness? I can't envision it? Another possibility is he can simply tell the first driver to stay put, then go after me and come back to the first driver. Is that even possible? It's not like he can order me to follow him to his first stop. I wouldn't comply if he tried anyway.

To top it off, two intersections away is my left turn. But because I knew that at least one cop was preoccupied, I went ahead and ignored the red light, instead making sure that no one was nearby (both cars and pedestrians). In fact, I'm so confident that my analysis is accurate, that I did all of this while under the influence of alcohol. Not excessively, but there's a good chance I was over the limit, though a cop would never get a sample from me unless he arrested me. An unlikely occurence because my actions hardly constitute probable cause for DUI.

In fact, I've been pulled over 4 times in my life (for equipment violations, and once, 30 in a 25), and I readily admitted to drinking all 4 times. I submitted to HGN all 4 times, but was never asked for more. Which is fitting, because I would refuse all other tests anyway, including the roadside breath test. Instead, I was free to go, and I tested my BAC at home after 2 of the 4 stops, and got 0.18 and 0.22%. Alcoholic? Certainly. But dangerous? No, according to the professional judgment of 7 officers.

I pulled over 4 times, but I was lit up 5 times. The fifth was when I *safely* blew a stop sign in a residential area, and I saw him too late. But due to the fact that it wasn't unsafe, I decided to ignore him, instead hiding on the LEFT side of the next cul-de-sac. Sirens blaring, a homeowner came out, so I fled the scene about 2 minutes later, NOT going back to the scene of the "crime." My heart was racing for about a week after, because I just committed a felony. But in the end, I did the absolute most virtuous thing I could. I wasn't unsafe, so I didn't morally deserve to pay for it, even though the law requires that I do.

I'm sure that nearly everyone disapproves, but it doesn't prove that I was unsafe. Likewise, not everyone is being unsafe when they break certain laws. And don't even try the "slippery slope" argument, as if I will gradually get worse and worse. My driving and criminal records are spotless, btw.



Answer
Officers on my department average two warnings for every citation. If an officer is on a stop and in the process of giving a warning and sees something that would warrant a citation, he would certainly abandon the warning in favor of the more dangerous driving that would result in a citation.

As far as your personal history, I suspect your luck is due to change. Especially since refusal to do field sobriety is probable cause for arrest.

As far as your self administered test for BAC, I would certainly be interested on how those tests were performed.

How much is my car worth?




Jose


Car info:

-1996 Mistsubishi Eclipse Base Model (2 door coupe)

-Chassis reads 180,000 but new engine is 80,000 (same stock engine)

-Inline 4, automatic

-full tank of gas will last you 450 miles

-Clean title

-Car is super clean both in and out

-Original paint is still good

-Has really nice rims and low profile wheels

-Has no issues whatsoever

-Has after market exhaust

How much should I sell it for? (private party)

Don't say Kellys Bluebook because I want to know your own personal opinions.

Thanks.
@Uncommon Sense Dude in this economy, I don't think it matters if the car is boring to drive or not because my car essentially saves a lot of gas, believe me. Gas prices are just too high these days.



Answer
keep it and stay debt free don't get caught up with the jone's.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment