Sunday, February 2, 2014

car repair question!?




SandraD


my car died so i had it towed to a car repair shop where they looked it over and said that the transmission needed to be replaced. they gave me the option of a new transmission which would be more expensive or a used one. being a poor college student, i opted for the used one...which still costed me a little under $1000.. after the replacement, the car was running fine for about 2 weeks and it died again. since i had a warranty, they replaced it with another used one for free. 3 weeks later, my car died again and then they said that they looked the car over and that it wasn't the transmission that was making the car die. i'm not that familiar with cars...they said something like it was something that connected the engine to the transmission that was malfunctioning and if i don't get my engine replaced the same thing will happen to my transmission if i replace it again. i can't afford to replace the engine..can they do this?? what should i do?? any help will be great, thanks!!
i had this question up but i accidentally closed it.

it's not the torque converter... the mechanic said something like crankshaft and flywheel?? what is that?? what do i do next??
the car is a 96 or 98 (sorry my memory is bad!) toyota camry.

i really want to just take the car to a different shop but how do i go about asking for a refund when theyve already done work on it so many times..?? i paid half with cash and half with credit card.. the guy is really nice but i feel like they should've have repaired it this many times to figure out that something else is wrong!



Answer
We need more info to help. Was there any noise, power loss, before your car died? When you say died did the engine quit running or would it just not move anymore? From what you've said so far I wouldn't trust that repair shop to put air in my tires. Find another repair shop, tell them exactly what happened, and have them fix it. Go back to the original shop and get a refund. If you are refused, cancel payment if it was a credit card or check. If it's a problem after that hire a lawyer and get your new repair shop to help you. I believe you were ripped off. I'm an automotive diagnostician and don't replace anything without knowing with 100% certainty that will take care of the problem. They shouldn't have either. good luck.

Cars in Alexandria Egypt.....HELP?




Ahmed El


I am about to move to Egypt from the United States. I am 34 years old and have been in the states since I was 3 years old. I have had my drivers license since I was 16 years old. I want to buy a reliable used car for a good price. Is there an online catalog with prices that I can look at. I am just wondering the average price. I have a 2002 honda accord here in the states so I would like something as reliable. Also is it easy to get a drivers license there in Egypt. I dont speak arabic that well but I am learning now. I also heard that driving in Egypt is dangerous, Is that correct. Lastly is everybody required to buy car insurance in Egypt so if you get in a car accident its covered. Thats how it is in the states and I was wondering if its like that there


Answer
Cars in Egypt . Ball is in my park.

You drive a Honda , you'll be better set with a late 90's Honda Civic. front wheel drive and well .. think of it as a miniature Accord. I am a BMW person , So i cant help you much here.
Cars in Egypt are really OVERPRICED comparing to abroad. a late 90's civic can cost up to 60K Egyptian pounds. Stick to the used cars , stay away from local alexandrian cars , Sea salt aint good for the lower structure. Try choosing a decently used car , be aware that any cars that get hit or flipped here get repaired, and you might come across cars with a complete front/rear clip change. (yea , they cut cars in halfs and reweld them with new halfs here.)
Driving in Egypt is like playing GT4. Get prepared to a really agressive and defensive driving style.
License in Egypt is easy to get. Apply for a personal license , you should be able to read arabic and answer the "computer exam" . you'll have to get a mini handbook with some info in arabic in it, wich you need to read and understand , as questions usually are choosen from it.
Another way is to check with your embassy , they make life easier for you here.

Check this site : www.car100100.com to have an idea about prices. NEVER BUY A CAR ONLINE OR OFFLINE WITHOUT INSPECTING IT OR GETTING IT INSPECTED.
A third way is to Pay and get it done. (Corruption rules , you just have to locate the right people)
Car insurance : there are two kind of car insurance. First one you pay while you register your car , that aint much , and is paied every year or 3 years (choose to register your car every 3 years , it aint an easy task) . The second one (the kind you speak of) is not obigatory here. When you get in a car accident , first thing to do is REPORT IT TO THE POLICE , AND PREPARE CASH TO "WORK THINGS OUT" if it is your fault.


Any further questions , feel free to ask.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment