Sunday, February 2, 2014

Used car in California - Can I drive with no plates?




N972TA


So here is my deal. I just purchased a 86 BMW 325 and I am planning on driving it home tomorrow which happens to be a Saturday. I live in californa In the bay area and have about 1 hour to drive the car to get home. The current owner whom I'm buying the car from said the car was impounded and that's the reason for no plates. He has all the paper work and the tags are reg untill April 2010. I checked car fax and it all said clear. So my ultimate question is can I drive the car back to my house legally with no front or rear plates? After it's at my house I don't plan on driving it untill I go to the DMV and get the plates and all.

Any info would help.

Thanks



Answer
Get the license plates. A police officer will more than likely see you and ticket you for an unlicensed vehicle. He won't care what you have at home. License plates MUST be attached to the vehicle. You could have the ticket excused after you showed proof that is was actually licensed, but you would have to go in front of a judge, etc. This is going to take a lot more time than the 30 mins. you say it would take to go home and get the plates.

If someone's car is in your name..?




Shawna


If someone's car was is in your name years ago, and you dont have a driver's license and can't tell whether or not they have parking tickets how will you find out, if you dont have any of the car info. (i.e.) ticket # , plate #, vehicle I.D.

I dont know if there are tickets I'm just trying to find out because this has been like 5yrs. ago. but someone told me if there were tickets and I dont have a driver's license I would still have received some things in the mail...



Answer
Generally parking tickets will go against your registration, but it varies by state. You should be able to call the police and get the information, but if you dont know the plate number then your pretty much stuck. Do you sell the car? I dont understand why someone else's car is in your name. If you sold it, than you should have a release of liability or sale paperwork, so they wouldnt be your responsibility.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment